IIPS serves as regional institute for training & research in Population studies for UNESCAP (United Nation Economics & Social Commission for Asia and Pacific). It was started in 1956 under the joint sponsorship of Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, the Government of India and the United Nations, it has established itself as the premier Institute for training and research in Population Studies for developing countries in the Asia and Pacific region. Previously it was known as DTRC (Demographic Training & Research Center). IIPS also provide consultancy to Government, NGO’s & other academic institution.
Objectives of IIPS:
- To train persons from India and other countries in demography and related fields, including demographic aspects of family planning.
- To undertake scientific research on population problems which are of special importance to India and other countries in the ESCAP region.
- To collect, organize and disseminate demographic information about the population of India and other countries of the world.
- To provide services of research, evaluation, training, consultation and guidance related to demographic problems to government departments, public corporations or private establishments as deemed desirable in pursuance of the objective of the Society
Courses or Programmes in IIPS:
- MA./M.Sc Programme in Population Studies.
- Master of Science in Bio-Statistics and Demography.
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Population Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Population Studies
- Master of Population Studies (MPS) (Distance Learning)
- Diploma in Health Promotion Education (DHPE)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Community Health Care (PGDCHC)
For more information on courses & details of the courses you may visit IIPS website (http://iipsindia.org/courses.htm)
For M.A./M.Sc Programme in Population Studies & Master of Science in Bio-Statistics and Demography, students needs bachelor’s degree in Social Science including the subject of Maths/Statistics with 55% Marks from recognized university. Upper Age limit is 25 years. Eligibility for other courses can be found on IIPS website.
Working Areas after doing courses from IIPS:
- Students can get opportunities to work with world authorities like WHO (World Health Organisation), UN (United Nations), UNICEF (The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund).
- Students can also get opportunities at International platforms, conferences & workshops like PAA (Population Association of America), IUSSP (International Union for the Scientific Study of Population) & other government conference for Policy Making.
- After Masters programme students can work on National Level Projects
- After PhD programmes, students can get faculty positions or key positions in different universities & top NGO’s.
About the Author:
This article has been written by Nazir Shaikh – He is currently working as Software Test Engineer at Xoriant Solutions & pursuing LLB from Mumbai University. He also teaches students in Mumbai.
You can contact him at email@example.com